Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

God works in such strange ways sometimes. but, its because of this, that my faith grows stronger and stronger every day.
its like the time when my friend told me that she asked God, "what do my praises smell like?" and He said "thanksgiving". She was ecstatic! how exciting it is to be told that your praises smell like thanksgiving!? that worked for her. it meant so much that her praises smelled like something as familiar as thanksgiving is. God knew, and knows, what to tell us to create such a reality in our lives. He knows exactly how to get to us.
for me, He had to throw my music to the floor and leave a blank sheet to tell me that I am so clean through Him that i dont even have to think about my blemishes or iniquities. He knew that thats what would get to me right at that moment. just one blank sheet. anyone could have told me that before, and they did in fact, but there was something about looking at that blank sheet. it stared me down, but in a peaceful and understanding way. i knew exactly what God was saying in that moment. it was a personalized message just waiting for me to grasp.
and just now. as i saw the tag on my pants i was wearing. in my eating disorder, numbers have always killed me. i had to be smaller than a double zero in pants. i had to be smaller than an extra small shirt. but as i looked at the tag in my pants, really cute pants i might add... :]], it said 5/S...meaning that a size five pants is considered small. wow. that totally spoke to me! as weird as it may seem, it really clicked for me that the small that my eating disorder shows me, is a completely different small in reality! well, duh, you might be saying, i could have told you that. and thats just it! you can tell me that every day and try to pound it into my head with a big solid hammer! but i wont understand it unless i feel it or see it or hear it or...you get it...for myself. it also reminded me that a small in this pair of pants may be a different small in another pair. sizes vary, so how can i base my judgement of "small" or even "large" on just one pair of pants.
really, all of that to say this: God has plans to show us something each in our own way. He has personalized messages ready to be sent out to each of us all of the time. different things will speak to different people. just like im not sure if i would get as excited as my friend did about smelling like thanksgiving. and she may not see the joy in understanding that a size five really can mean small. im so glad that God understands the way i learn and the way i will truly understand a concept.

No comments: