Tuesday, March 16, 2010

...My Only Sunshine.

My knee says "I love you. I'm sorry." It's a true statement about the life I lead. Its a beautiful confession that goes wonderfully with my arm which reads: "love never fails." Love is wonderful. Love is truly like oxygen, Christian. I must agree with you there. The sun feels warmer today and life [oh, life!] is beautiful.
I was inspired to write this today as I drove back to my house in my sweet, little town that I, way too often, take advantage of. A sunny afternoon with the love of my life left me pleasantly content and satisfied with being me [a rare occasion to feel this way that is showing up more often]. It's March. It's March in Southern California. This means that it is the beginning of the summertime (contrary to popular belief, summer begins in February here).
I was almost home when the traffic slowed down and ambulances raced up on-ramps like rockets. The dust they created swirled about the hot cars, but the people inside stayed calm and cool with their air conditioners and large soft drinks. In our thoughts, we wondered what happened and how badly the people were hurt. We wanted to know what happened and who was hurt. Sadly, my mind went straight to death. Who died? I most likely didn't know them, but this is my town after all.
I continued driving at a snail's pace as my worship music continued to blare out of my speakers. More and more ambulances and police officers rushed through the crowded freeway. At last, I could see the collection of emergency vehicles huddled around a section of the road and across the way. Above, an overpass held five spectators. Did they know the victims of this brutal scene?
I drove underneath the overpass and felt as though I was driving into death. In this short movie I had been cast in, I could sense the conflict about to occur. The music came to a climax and fell.
For all Your sons and daughters who are walking in the darkness
You are calling us to lead them back to You.
I knew I was about to see something gruesome. Something terrible had just happened though the sky seemed to be oblivious. I drove through the scene and slowed for a police man to cross the glass-littered highway. I looked to the left to see three cars torn apart. The ambulances had already been there and gone. I hoped everyone was alive.

I drove the other five minutes to my house thinking about how precious life is. About how important it is. About how sweet it is to be alive to feel the sun on my body and to love the love of my life, my best friend, my family, the people I hold dear to my heart.
Question:
Why is it that we are united when tragedy strikes?
On the freeway, I felt like people began to care when they saw flashing red lights. They suddenly slowed down to let the police car cross the road. They turned down their music. They got off of their phones, or began dialing them (despite the laws against it...its an emergency, we're allowed to break the rules). We slowed to let the other lane of cars merge with ours so that the ambulance would have the 300 feet it required. But why? Because suddenly, lives were threatened and though we are selfish beings, somewhere deep inside of us, we cared. We cared that they have the amount of time and space they needed to attempt to keep a life on this earth. Because those lives deserve to feel the sun again. They deserve to feel love. They deserve to know that there are people that don't know them, but care for them enough.

I think about the final exam I may have done poorly on this morning and about the pain in my stomach that I cause. I think about my life that I threatened years ago. I think about the dozens and dozens of people I love. And then I think about the sun and the summer and the feeling of being infinite. Of never having to walk in darkness. Of never having to be desperate. Of always loving and being loved. And suddenly, I realize that you are my sunshine...




...yes, you.


No comments: